4 Different “Web Guy” Roles
What is a “web guy?” This is a loaded question that I get all-too-many times.
1. Graphic Designer –
- Knows Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Flash cold.
- Focus is more on Print than on Web.
- Very basic level of HTML and CSS.
2. Web Designer –
- Knows Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Flash enough to create a decent looking website on the client side.
3. Web Programmer –
- Focuses on server-side and “back-end” coding with database knowledge.
- The web programmer generally doesn’t know, nor cares to know, Flash, and has a basic understanding of Photoshop.
4. UI (User Interface – for Web Applications) Web Developer –
- Can create themes and/or plugins for web applications like WordPress, Joomla, and Magento.
- Can create themes for frameworks like CodeIgniter and CakePHP.
- A significant amount of knowledge of either PHP and/or ASP.net and the applications’ classes and functions is essential.
I feel that it’s necessary to define some of these roles since I’m constantly asked why someone knows this and not that. There are many more roles, but this is for starters.help.